Friday, October 15, 2010

Looking Back, Looking Ahead, But Really Trying to Stay Present


This week was my last week of teaching belly dance classes. One of the more difficult decisions I've made in my life, to stop doing something that is so much fun. But I knew it was time for a change. And although I'll still be dancing, the teaching part has come to an end (for now, she says with a grin). So, it's time to be still.

But, I'm a very much a goal-oriented person. I have no trouble finding new tasks, new challenges and new adventures to fill my life. That's how I get myself in trouble too. Over-committing myself to lots of very exciting projects. I finally ~ after all these years ~ realize that the quiet time, the time in-between, is valuable too. And necessary. One can't always be breathing out, life requires some in-breaths as well.

So I am challenging myself to just be for a while, without racing towards the next thing. And it will be a challenge, something that doesn't seem to come naturally to me. Perhaps you can all help me remember when you see me plotting and planning some new course?

And in being present, I am reflecting on where I am at this point in my life. Taking a look at some insights gleaned from the past few years of teaching. Here's what I've learned:

  • I am surrounded by beautiful women in my community

  • Being bold encourages others to be bold too

  • Teaching what you need to learn is a huge part of teaching

  • I can't wait until I'm the perfect weight to start something

  • Moments of insecurity are actually chances for growth

  • Taking time for oneself is just as important as giving to others

  • Not everyone needs what I have to offer

  • Music and dance are magical ways of staying in the present

  • Ants usually have great lessons to teach you when they invade your space

  • Being flexible is highly recommended

  • Laughter is key

  • Trying something is the only way to find out if it's a good fit for you

  • Not everything you try will fit, but how else will you know?

  • Holding your head high, shoulders back, rib cage raised makes you look like a goddess, until you truly feel like one

  • Listening to your intuition is vital

  • Trusting your intuition is even more important

  • Everyone can use a little jingle in their walk

  • Shimmying is therapeutic

  • Mirrors are not reality, pick the one that reflects you best, and move forward from there
I have been blessed these past few years. I hold them deeply in my heart. Thank you to each and every one of you beautiful dancers.

3 comments:

  1. Great lessons you've learned, Wise One...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous words of wisdom! The one that touches me most is "Not everyone needs what I have to offer." I too am learning that and actually find it a relief!
    xo

    ReplyDelete