Sunday, April 10, 2011

On Being Seen



What is it about self-portraits that are so scary?

Well, to me anyway.

There is something risky, at being seen, up close, vulnerabilities and all.

Over at 21 Secrets I'm doing some art journaling around self-portraits.

Who am I? Who wants to be seen?
Who am I 'letting' be seen? Who's me anyway?

It feels very connected to this quote, by Marianne Williamson:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”


Here's to shining our light and being seen.


How do you shine your light?

6 comments:

  1. Wow, very good my sweet. Self-portraits are hard for me also. Getting better though. Just looking in the mirror has taken a long time to do!
    How do I shine my light? Speaking my truth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love that quote, it is so true and really spoke to me!
    How do I shine? At the moment it is by being creative and following my dream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that last picture of you...so beautiful!! And that is one of my favorite quotes. I was actually trying to explain that quote to Cory not too long ago. It has always resonated with me? How do I shine my light? Through gratitude for all the gifts I have been given. By giving myself permission to enjoy life, by banishing guilt and by following my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for inspiring me with this post.I have been wanting to explore the self portrait-not easy!You are a goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are beautiful, Tracy...simply beautiful in every way imaginable and you have lit my soul on fire with your words, your photos and that class...I'm SOOO diving into Barbara's class now....beauty, love to you xoxo

    ReplyDelete