Friday, May 22, 2015

What I've Been Doing Lately

If you're following along with my last few posts, you know that after taking a break for over 6 months I've slowly been dipping my toes back into creating. It has seemed too overwhelming to bust out the blank canvases (why is that anyway?), so I've gone 3D.

It's not the first time to dabble in mixed media creations. Way back for a Halloween show I contributed this piece, "Here's Looking at You":




And there was this little gem I created several years ago, "Yin and Yang":



This one I did a month or so ago, and shared already, but will share again, it was the first "officially dipping my toes in" piece:



And now, this one! 




I guess you'd say it's called "The Visitor and her Tardis." And yes, she's wearing a tutu. And yes, her boots are sparkly silver, amongst other sparkly things.

There is something so freeing about creating in this 3D way. For this project I learned all about paperclay, and used it to bring my little alien friend to life. It's so forgiving and easy to work with. I have tons left and can't wait to play with it more. 

And my recent new favorite go-to paint source is fabric paint in a bottle that squirts out a tiny opening up top. I discovered it a few years ago when coming up with an activity for a 6 year old's birthday party (monster/zombie t-shirt painting). This one done by a very grown up little boy, not a 6-year old, but you get the idea:



Here's the kind I've been using:


 
I suppose regular old acrylic paint could be put into these bottles too. I'll have to try that. But the fabric paint also comes in all these fabulous glitter colors! Even when I'm having a gray-skies kind of day, playing with glitter paint brings me back to my happy place.

So there you have it. Creativity re-launched.

Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment